Dental Assisting - DA12 Diploma
Program Description: The program in Dental Assisting Education is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation and has been granted the accreditation status of “approval without reporting requirements”. The Dental Assisting accredited diploma program prepares students for employment in a variety of positions in today's dental offices. The Dental Assisting program provides learning opportunities which introduce, develop, and reinforce academic and occupational knowledge, skills, and attitudes required for job acquisition, retention, and advancement. Additionally, the program provides opportunities to upgrade present knowledge and skills or to retrain in the area of dental assisting. Graduates of the program receive a Dental Assisting diploma. Graduates are certified in Radiology, Coronal Polishing and Expanded Duties in Georgia. Graduates of the CODA accredited dental assisting program are eligible to sit for the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB).
“The Commission on Dental Accreditation will review complaints that relate to a program's compliance with the accreditation standards. The Commission is interested in the sustained quality and continued improvement of dental and dental-related education programs but does not intervene on behalf of individuals or act as a court of appeal for treatment received by patients or individuals in matters of admission, appointment, promotion or dismissal of faculty, staff or students. A copy of the appropriate accreditation standards and/or the Commission's policy and procedure for submission of complaints may be obtained by contacting the Commission at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611-2678 or by calling 1-800-621-8099 extension 4653.”
- Submit a completed application and application fee
- Be at least 17 years of age
- Submit official high school transcript or High School Equivalency transcript or college transcripts showing successful completion of 60+ semester credits or 72+ quarter credits
- Submit official college transcripts, if applicable
- Present acceptable ACCUPLACER, ACT, ASSET, COMPASS, PSAT, or SAT scores or GED score of 145 or higher or have one of the following: an associate degree or higher or have a HOPE GPA of 2.6 after the completion of 10th grade. Documentation on a college transcript of successful completion of appropriate courses from a regionally accredited college or university may be accepted in lieu of test scores.
Additional Program Requirements:
- American Heart Association Provider CPR certification, physical examination or proof of ability to perform required duties, up-to-date immunizations and criminal background check prior to performing the clinical rotation.
- Due to the potential for exposure to bloodborne pathogens, the dental programs strictly adhere to CDC, ADA and OSHA regulations regarding bloodborne pathogens and infection control. A complete copy of the WGTC Exposure Control plan is available for review at the dental reception desk.
- The dental assisting profession requires theoretical and clinical skills and the ability to learn and apply new knowledge quickly. An enormous amount of commitment is necessary to succeed.
- Effective Fall 2019, students must successfully complete ENGL 1010, MATH 1012, ALHS 1011, and ALHS 1040 before registering for courses with the Dental Assisting prefix (DENA).
- This program begins each Fall semester on the Valdosta campus.
This program is a HOPE Career Grant eligible program for students who are HOPE Grant eligible. The Career Grant award is a fixed amount per semester based on the number of credit hours taken. Maximum award per term is $500.
The mission of the Dental Programs is to provide quality instruction, enabling students to develop knowledge, skills, and work ethics to acquire and retain entry level positions in the dental profession.
The dental programs at Wiregrass are accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA).
Please see the following links for information related to complaints and third Party comments.
Contact Information for CODA is:
Commission on Dental Accreditation
211 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60611
|General Core Courses||9|
|ENGL 1010 Fundamentals of English I||3|
|MATH 1012 Foundations of Mathematics||3|
|PSYC 1010 Basic Psychology||3|
|ALHS 1040 Introduction to Health Care||3|
|ALHS 1011 Structure and Function of the Human Body||5|
|DENA 1050 Microbiology and Infection Control||3|
|DENA 1080 Dental Anatomy||5|
|DENA 1340 Dental Assisting I: General Chairside||6|
|DENA 1030 Preventive Dentistry||2|
|DENA 1070 Oral Pathology and Therapeutic||2|
|DENA 1350 Dental Asst. II: Dental Specialties/EFDA Skills||7|
|DENA 1390 Dental Radiology||4|
|DENA 1460 Dental Practicum I||1|
|DENA 1090 Dental Assisting National Board Examination Prep.||1|
|DENA 1400 Dental Practice Management||2|
|DENA 1470 Dental Practicum II||1|
|DENA 1480 Dental Practicum III||5|
|Choose One of the Following (3 Hours)||3|
|COLL 1010 College and Career Success Skills||3|
|COMP 2000 Intro. to Technology and Computer Application||3|
|MAST 1060 Medical Office Procedures||4|
Faculty & Staff
Up one level
Programs of Study
Notice and Responsibilities Regarding this Catalog
The information in this College Catalog and Student Handbook accurately reflects current policies and procedures at the time of publication. Students are admitted to the College under and are subject to the provisions of the WGTC Catalog and Student Handbooks for the term they initially enroll. Students in all programs are admitted under and are subject to the provisions of the College Catalog and Student Handbook and applicable addendums for the term they are admitted to the program at Wiregrass Georgia Technical College. If for any reason a break in enrollment occurs, students must reapply and satisfy the College Catalog and Student Handbook requirements for the term of their re-entry to any program. The provisions of this catalog are not to be regarded as an irrevocable contract between Wiregrass Georgia Technical College and the student. The College reserves the right to change any provision or requirement at any time.