Lathe Operator (LP11) Technical Certificate of Credit
The Lathe Operator certificate program prepares students to use lathes, lathe set up, and lathe tool grinding. Emphasis is placed on cutting threads, boring holes to precise measurements, and cutting tapers. Topics include an introduction to machine tool technology, blueprint reading for machine tool, and basic and advanced lathe operations.
- Submit a completed application and application fee
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Submit official high school transcript or High School Equivalency transcript or college transcripts showing successful completion of 60+ semester credits or 72+ quarter credits
- Submit official college transcripts, if applicable
- Present acceptable ACCUPLACER, ACT, ASSET, COMPASS, PSAT, or SAT scores, Georgia Milestones Literature/Composition or Georgia Milestones American Literature/Composition (for meeting English requirement only) or GED score of 145 or higher, or have one of the following: an associate degree or higher or have a High School overall GPA of 2.0, a HOPE Scholarship GPA of 2.6 or higher after the completion of 10th grade, or have 2 years documented work experience in the subject area. Documentation on a college transcript of successful completion of appropriate courses from a regionally accredited college or university may be accepted in lieu of test scores.
This program is a HOPE Career Grant eligible program for students who are HOPE Grant eligible. The Career Grant award is a fixed amount per semester based on the number of credit hours taken. Maximum award per term is $500.
|MCHT 1011Introduction to Machine Tool
Weekly Contact Hours: Lecture - 2 Lab 2 - 4 Lab 3 - 0 Pre-requisite(s): None Co-requisite(s): None Introduces the fundamental concepts and procedures necessary for the safe and efficient use of basic machine tools. Topics include: machine shop safety, terminology, use of hand and bench tools, analysis of measurements, part layout, horizontal and vertical band saw setup and operation, drill press setup and operation, and quality control.
|MCHT 1012Blueprint for Machine Tool
Weekly Contact Hours: Lecture - 3 Lab 2 - 0 Lab 3 - 0 Pre-requisite(s): None Co-requisite(s): None Introduces the fundamental concepts necessary to develop blueprint reading competencies, interpret drawings, and produce sketches for machine tool applications. Topics include interpretation of blueprints, sketching, sectioning, geometric dimensioning and tolerancing, and assembly drawings.
|MCHT 1119Lathe Operations I
Weekly Contact Hours: Lecture - 2 Lab 2 - 4 Lab 3 - 0 Pre-requisite(s): None Co-requisite(s): None Provides opportunities for students to develop skill in the setup and operation of metal cutting lathes. Topics include: safety, lathes parts and controls, lathe tooling and tool bit grinding, lathe calculations, lathe setup and operations.
|MCHT 1219Lathe Operations II
Weekly Contact Hours: Lecture - 2 Lab 2 - 4 Lab 3 - 0 Pre-requisite(s): None Co-requisite(s): None Provides further instruction for students to develop skill in the use of lathes. Topics include: lathes, lathe setup, lathe operations, and safety.
Up one level
Programs of Study
Notice and Responsibilities Regarding this Catalog
The information in this College Catalog and Student Handbook accurately reflects current policies and procedures at the time of publication. Students are admitted to the College under and are subject to the provisions of the WGTC Catalog and Student Handbooks for the term they initially enroll. Students in all programs are admitted under and are subject to the provisions of the College Catalog and Student Handbook and applicable addendums for the term they are admitted to the program at Wiregrass Georgia Technical College. If for any reason a break in enrollment occurs, students must reapply and satisfy the College Catalog and Student Handbook requirements for the term of their re-entry to any program. The provisions of this catalog are not to be regarded as an irrevocable contract between Wiregrass Georgia Technical College and the student. The College reserves the right to change any provision or requirement at any time.