Basic Machinist (BM31) Technical Certificate of Credit
The Basic Machinist certificate program prepares students for a machine tool operator position with a machine shop or machine tool establishment. Topics include foundations of mathematics, an introduction to machine tool technology, and blueprint reading for machine tool applications.
- Submit a completed application and application fee
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Submit official high school transcript or High School Equivalency transcript or college transcripts showing successful completion of 60+ semester credits or 72+ quarter credits
- Submit official college transcripts, if applicable
- Present acceptable ACCUPLACER, ACT, ASSET, COMPASS, PSAT, or SAT scores or GED score of 145 or higher or have one of the following: an associate degree or higher or have a HOPE GPA of 2.6 after the completion of 10th grade. Documentation on a college transcript of successful completion of appropriate courses from a regionally accredited college or university may be accepted in lieu of test scores.
- This program begins each semester on the Valdosta campus; it begins each Spring on the Coffee campus.
This program is a HOPE Career Grant eligible program for students who are HOPE Grant eligible. The Career Grant award is a fixed amount per semester based on the number of credit hours taken. Maximum award per term is $500.
|General Core Courses||3|
|MATH 1012Foundations of Mathematics
Weekly Contact Hours: Lecture - 3 Lab 2 - 0 Lab 3 - 0 Pre-requisite(s): Diploma Level Math Scores or MATH 0090 w/ a “C” or better Co-requisite(s): None Emphasizes the application of basic mathematical skills used in the solution of occupational and technical problems. Topics include fractions, decimals, percents, ratios and proportions, measurement and conversion, geometric concepts, technical applications, and basic statistics.
|MCHT 1011Introduction to Machine Tool
Weekly Contact Hours: Lecture - 2 Lab 2 - 4 Lab 3 - 0 Pre-requisite(s): None Co-requisite(s): None Introduces the fundamental concepts and procedures necessary for the safe and efficient use of basic machine tools. Topics include: machine shop safety, terminology, use of hand and bench tools, analysis of measurements, part layout, horizontal and vertical band saw setup and operation, drill press setup and operation, and quality control.
|MCHT 1012Blueprint for Machine Tool
Weekly Contact Hours: Lecture - 3 Lab 2 - 0 Lab 3 - 0 Pre-requisite(s): None Co-requisite(s): None Introduces the fundamental concepts necessary to develop blueprint reading competencies, interpret drawings, and produce sketches for machine tool applications. Topics include interpretation of blueprints, sketching, sectioning, geometric dimensioning and tolerancing, and assembly drawings.
Up one level
Programs of Study
Notice and Responsibilities Regarding this Catalog
The information in this College Catalog and Student Handbook accurately reflects current policies and procedures at the time of publication. Students are admitted to the College under and are subject to the provisions of the WGTC Catalog and Student Handbooks for the term they initially enroll. Students in all programs are admitted under and are subject to the provisions of the College Catalog and Student Handbook and applicable addendums for the term they are admitted to the program at Wiregrass Georgia Technical College. If for any reason a break in enrollment occurs, students must reapply and satisfy the College Catalog and Student Handbook requirements for the term of their re-entry to any program. The provisions of this catalog are not to be regarded as an irrevocable contract between Wiregrass Georgia Technical College and the student. The College reserves the right to change any provision or requirement at any time.