Medical Assisting - MA22 Diploma
Program Description: The Medical Assisting diploma program prepares students for employment in a variety of positions in today's medical offices. The Medical Assisting program provides learning opportunities which introduce, develop, and reinforce academic and occupational knowledge, skills, and attitudes required for job acquisition, retention, and advancement. Additionally, the program provides opportunities to upgrade present knowledge and skills or to retrain in the area of medical assisting. Graduates of the program receive a Medical Assisting diploma
- Submit a completed application and application fee
- Be at least 17 years of age
- Submit official high school transcript or High School Equivalency transcript or college transcripts showing successful completion of 60+ semester credits or 72+ quarter credits
- Submit official college transcripts, if applicable
- Present acceptable ACCUPLACER, ACT, ASSET, COMPASS, PSAT, or SAT scores or GED score of 145 or higher or have one of the following: an associate degree or higher or have a HOPE GPA of 2.6 after the completion of 10th grade. Documentation on a college transcript of successful completion of appropriate courses from a regionally accredited college or university may be accepted in lieu of test scores.
Additional Program Requirements:
- American Heart Association Provider CPR certification, physical examination or proof of ability to perform required duties, up-to-date immunizations, criminal background check and drug screen prior to performing the clinical rotation.
- This program begins each Fall semester on the Valdosta and Coffee campuses.
This program is a HOPE Career Grant eligible program for students who are HOPE Grant eligible. The Career Grant award is a fixed amount per semester based on the number of credit hours taken. Maximum award per term is $500.
The Medical Assisting Program at Wiregrass Georgia Technical College is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of Medical Assisting Review Board (MAERB).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
25400 US Highway 19 N., Suite 158 Clearwater, FL 33763
|General Core Courses||9|
|ENGL 1010 Fundamentals of English I||3|
|MATH 1012 Foundations of Mathematics||3|
|PSYC 1010 Basic Psychology||3|
|ALHS 1090 Medical Terminology for Allied Health Sciences||2|
|ALHS 1011 Structure and Function of the Human Body||5|
|MAST 1010 Legal and Ethical Concerns in the Medical Office||2|
|MAST 1030 Pharmacology in the Medical Office||4|
|MAST 1060 Medical Office Procedures||4|
|MAST 1080 Medical Assisting Skills I||4|
|MAST 1090 Medical Assisting Skills II||4|
|MAST 1100 Medical Insurance Management||2|
|MAST 1110 Administrative Practice Management||3|
|MAST 1120 Human Diseases||3|
|MAST 1170 Medical Assisting Externship||6|
|MAST 1180 Medical Assisting Seminar||3|
|Choose One of the Following (3 Hours)||3|
|COLL 1010 College and Career Success Skills||3|
|COMP 2000 Intro. to Technology and Computer Application||3|
Faculty & Staff
- Allied Health
Up one level
Programs of Study
Notice and Responsibilities Regarding this Catalog
The information in this College Catalog and Student Handbook accurately reflects current policies and procedures at the time of publication. Students are admitted to the College under and are subject to the provisions of the WGTC Catalog and Student Handbooks for the term they initially enroll. Students in all programs are admitted under and are subject to the provisions of the College Catalog and Student Handbook and applicable addendums for the term they are admitted to the program at Wiregrass Georgia Technical College. If for any reason a break in enrollment occurs, students must reapply and satisfy the College Catalog and Student Handbook requirements for the term of their re-entry to any program. The provisions of this catalog are not to be regarded as an irrevocable contract between Wiregrass Georgia Technical College and the student. The College reserves the right to change any provision or requirement at any time.