Nursery/Greenhouse Technician - PPS1 Technical Certificate of Credit
Prepare graduates for challenging careers in the expanding field of Landscaping and Garden Centers.
- Submit a completed application and application fee
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Submit official high school transcript or High School Equivalency transcript or college transcripts showing successful completion of 60+ semester credits or 72+ quarter credits
- Submit official college transcripts, if applicable
- Present acceptable ACCUPLACER, ACT, ASSET, COMPASS, PSAT, or SAT scores, Georgia Milestones Literature/Composition or Georgia Milestones American Literature/Composition (for meeting English requirement only) or GED score of 145 or higher, or have one of the following: an associate degree or higher or have a High School overall GPA of 2.0, a HOPE Scholarship GPA of 2.6 or higher after the completion of 10th grade, or have 2 years documented work experience in the subject area. Documentation on a college transcript of successful completion of appropriate courses from a regionally accredited college or university may be accepted in lieu of test scores.
|HORT 1000Horticulture Science
Weekly Contact Hours: Lecture - 2 Lab 2 - 2 Lab 3 - 0 Pre-requisite(s): None Co-requisite(s): None Introduces the fundamentals of plant science and horticulture as a career field. Emphasis will be placed on an industry overview; plant morphology; plant physiology; environmental factors affecting horticulture practices; soil physical and chemical properties; fertilizer elements and analysis; and basic propagation techniques.
|HORT 1010Woody Ornamental Plant Identification
Weekly Contact Hours: Lecture - 1 Lab 2 - 4 Lab 3 - 0 Pre-requisite(s): Program Admission Co-requisite(s): None Provides the basis for a fundamental understanding of the taxonomy, identification, and culture requirements of woody plants. Topics include: introduction to woody plants, classification of woody plants, and woody plant identification and culture requirements.
|HORT 1020Herbaceous Plant Identification
Weekly Contact Hours: Lecture - 2 Lab 2 - 2 Lab 3 - 0 Pre-requisite(s): Program Admission Co-requisite(s): None Emphasizes the identification,selection,and cultural requirements of herbaceous plants. Topics include: introduction to herbaceous plants, plant classification and nomenclature of herbaceous plants, herbaceous plant identification and culture requirements and seasonal color management.
|HORT 1030Greenhouse Management
Weekly Contact Hours: Lecture - 2.5 Lab 2 - 2 Lab 3 - 1.5 Pre-requisite(s): None Co-requisite(s): None This course helps to prepare students for a career in the management of commercial greenhouses, conservatories and institutuional greenhouses. Emphasis is placed on greenhouse construction; operation and management; regulating and controlling the environment; applying cultural practices as they affect plant physiological processes and influence plant growth and development; and management of a greenhouse business.
|HORT 1050Nursery Production and Management
Weekly Contact Hours: Lecture - 2.5 Lab 2 - 2 Lab 3 - 1.5 Pre-requisite(s): None Co-requisite(s): None Develops skills necessary to propagate and produce both container and field grown nursery stock. Topics include: industry overview, facility design, propagation techniques and environment, field grown and container production, and managerial functions for nursery production.
Up one level
Programs of Study
Notice and Responsibilities Regarding this Catalog
The information in this College Catalog and Student Handbook accurately reflects current policies and procedures at the time of publication. Students are admitted to the College under and are subject to the provisions of the WGTC Catalog and Student Handbooks for the term they initially enroll. Students in all programs are admitted under and are subject to the provisions of the College Catalog and Student Handbook and applicable addendums for the term they are admitted to the program at Wiregrass Georgia Technical College. If for any reason a break in enrollment occurs, students must reapply and satisfy the College Catalog and Student Handbook requirements for the term of their re-entry to any program. The provisions of this catalog are not to be regarded as an irrevocable contract between Wiregrass Georgia Technical College and the student. The College reserves the right to change any provision or requirement at any time.