Financial Aid FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions About Financial Aid

What is Financial Aid?

Financial aid is money to help a student pay educational expenses such as tuition, fees, and books.

What types of financial aid are offered at Wiregrass Georgia Technical College?

Wiregrass Georgia Technical College offers a variety of financial aid programs that include grants and scholarships that do not have to be repaid.

When should I apply for financial aid to ensure I will have funds available before the first day of class?

You should apply as early as possible, but no later than the priority date set by the college.

  • Summer Semester 2023: April 25, 2023
    • Select the 2022-2023 FAFSA and use 2020 taxed and untaxed income and/or benefits
  • Fall Semester 2023: July 12, 2023
    • Select the 2023-2024 FAFSA and use 2021 taxed and untaxed income and/or benefits
  • Spring Semester 2024: November 13, 2023
    • Select the 2023-2024 FAFSA and use 2021 taxed and untaxed income and/or benefits

Will my financial aid pay for my books and tuition?

It will depend on the program of study, the enrollment hours, and the type and amount of financial aid for which you are qualified. The type of financial aid will determine if you have sufficient aid to pay the full cost of tuition, fees and books.

What is the preferred method of applying for financial aid?

The preferred (and fastest) method is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on line at you put Wiregrass Georgia Technical College school code, 005256, on the application so it can be downloaded into our system. The Financial Aid Office will use your online application to help determine what aid you qualify for. Don’t forget to sign the application electronically with the Federal Student Aid ID that you can create before submitting the application. Or, you can print and sign a signature page that you must mail to the U.S. Department of Education. The preferred and fastest method to sign the application is with the PIN!

How will I know my application has been processed?

You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) that summarizes all the information you provided on the FAFSA. Your SAR will usually contain your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), the number used in determining your eligibility for federal student aid. You will receive your SAR by e-mail within 3-5 days after your FAFSA has been processed. If you did not provide an e-mail, you will receive a paper SAR within 7-10 days. Read the SAR very carefully to see if additional information may be needed.

I probably don't qualify for aid. Should I apply for aid anyway?

Yes. You may be eligible for some type of aid to include state aid. Requirements for aid can change from year to year so it is always a good idea to complete the application process regardless.

Do I use the FAFSA to apply for the HOPE Grant or Scholarship?

Yes. Wiregrass Georgia Tech prefers that students to use the FAFSA to apply for the HOPE Grant or HOPE Scholarship as well as the PELL Grant. Students must apply for a waiver of this requirement if they are unable to complete a FAFSA. Click to download the waiver form.

Is there another application other than the FAFSA that I can use to apply for the HOPE Grant?

Yes. Students who only want to be considered for the HOPE Grant or HOPE Scholarship and can apply using the Georgia Student Financial Aid Application (GSFAPP) online at Click for instructions on completing the GSFAPP.

Do I need to be admitted before I can apply for financial aid?

No. You can apply for financial aid first; however, you must be accepted and enrolled at the college before you can receive any type of aid.

Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year?

Yes. After the first year you apply, you will receive a "Renewal Application" notification. The Renewal FAFSA will contain much of the information from the previous year's FAFSA.

I did not file an income tax, what do I do?

You must report any W-2 income earned from working (or non-W-2 income) from whatever the source as well as support documents from Social Service agencies and other people such as friends and relatives. Contact the Financial Aid Office for additional forms that must be completed to certify how you were supported for the past year.

Questions about your 1098T tax form?

Click to see FAQs for 1098Ts.

Do I need to apply every semester?

No. The financial aid academic year is July 1 through June 30. All financial aid expires on June 30; therefore, you must complete a renewal application before the next academic year which begins July 1. You can renew your application on or after October 1 but no later than 6-8 weeks before the start of the term.

How do I know if I have been approved financial aid?

You will receive a financial aid award letter from the school by mail or electronically. You can also view your award at our website If there is a question, call the Financial Aid Office at any campus location.

Will I receive all the financial aid listed on the website or on my financial aid award letter?

Financial Aid is awarded assuming full-time status. If you do not register as a full-time student, your financial aid will be adjusted to your actual enrollment hours. Financial Aid will be paid for classes that are in your program of study. You must submit all documents requested by the Financial Aid Office. You must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) according to the college SAP policy.

What happens if I do not use all the money that is disbursed to my account each semester?

WGTC has partnered with BankMobile to deliver your financial aid refund. For more information about BankMobile, visit

Click to view our institution's contract with BankMobile, a Division of Customer Bank.

Can I receive PELL and SEOG if I am enrolled in a certificate program?

PELL and SEOG can be received for certain certificate programs. Check with the Financial Aid Office on the technical certificate programs that are approved for federal aid.

What will happen if I drop a class?

  • If you drop before the first day of classes all financial aid will be cancelled.
  • If you drop a class within the first three days of the term all of your financial aid will be cancelled.
  • If you withdraw from ALL classes after the 4th day, your financial aid will be recalculated (refigured) based on the actual number of days attended. You may owe money if your new award is less than the amount of any institutional charges. If you have received a refund check may also owe back the refund amount.

IMPORTANT – You are encouraged to contact the Financial Aid Office before you drop or withdraw from your classes so you can be advised on how the drop/withdrawal will affect your financial aid standing.

Do I have to be a full time student to get my financial aid?

No. You will be paid for the number of hours that you enrolled each semester.

How do I receive my $500.00 for my HOPE GED Voucher?

You should submit the voucher to the Financial Aid Office as soon as possible. The Financial Aid Office will award the voucher on your student account for the current term or a future term. If you do not need the $500 for books you will receive a refund check when the Business Office mails the checks (usually 3-4 weeks into the semester).

Do I have to pay my financial aid back?

You do not have to repay a grant unless there is an unforeseen change in your enrollment status after you have received your money; or, if you withdraw from all or some classes and your institutional charges exceed your new aid amount. If you are overpaid a PELL you will have to repay the amount overpaid. If you receive the PELL Grant and you withdraw (officially or unofficially) your aid will be recalculated (refigured) and you may owe money if your bookstore charges or other institutional charges are more than the new PELL amount. You can read more information in the Section “Refunds & Disbursements” for the Return of Title IV policy. You may also owe money back if you have a federal or state overpayment at another school that is not known at the time you were awarded financial aid. You may owe money back if you go into DEFAULT on a federal student loan received at another school.

Do you have to be a HOPE Scholar to receive HOPE funds?

You do not have to be a HOPE Scholar for diploma and technical certificate majors. You can receive the HOPE Grant for diplomas and technical certificates.

If I am in an associate degree major, can I still receive HOPE funds?

You must be a HOPE Scholar to receive the HOPE Scholarship for an associate degree major. Submit a HOPE Scholarship Evaluation Form to the Registrar’s Office to determine if you are a HOPE Scholar. If you graduated after 1993 and were a high school HOPE Scholar your high school grade point average (GPA) might have to be reevaluated by the Georgia Student Finance Commission. If you graduated from high school before 1993, or if you graduated after 1993 but was not a HOPE scholar after graduation, you may gain eligibility after you have attempted 30, 60 or 90 credit hours that will transfer into the degree program with a 3.0 GPA. Students who receive their first HOPE or Zell Miller Scholarship payment Summer term 2019 or later may receive HOPE or Zell Miller Scholarship payment until ten years after the date of their high school graduation, GED test date, home study completion date, or the date of their petition to receive a high school diploma, whichever occurs first. If you were a previous HOPE scholar and lost your eligibility, you may be able to regain eligibility one time. Contact the Registrar Office for more information on HOPE Scholarship eligibility.

Students who received their first HOPE or Zell Miller Scholarship payment between Summer term 2011 and Spring term 2019, may receive HOPE or Zell Miller Scholarship funding until seven years after the date of their high school graduation, GED test date, home study completion date, or the date of their petition to receive a high school diploma, whichever occurs first.

How often is my GPA checked for the HOPE Scholarship?

At the 45, 90 and 135 hour. Also each Spring Semester. If less than full time for first 45 hours, at the end of third term. See the Registrar or Financial Aid Office for more details.

Can I use Pell to pay my $105 Technology Fee?

Yes, if you provide a signed written authorization on the Admissions Application. You must have satisfied all verification requirements for the Pell Grant.

Why do I have to include my parents’ income if I no longer live with them or they do not support me?

You must meet certain conditions established by the U.S. Department of Education for independent status to be exempt from using your parent’s income. Contact the Financial Aid Office to determine if you are independent or dependent.

Is there a limit on the number of hours that HOPE will pay?

Yes. You can receive the HOPE Grant for 63 semester paid hours for technical certificate or diploma programs and 127 semester hours for degree program (which could be less if you received the HOPE Grant for a technical certificate or diploma program). The HOPE grant/scholarship hours are cumulative of all technical colleges you have attended.

What happens if I have to quit school because of personal or other reasons? Will I be eligible for aid the following semester? Will I have to pay my financial aid back?

You will be checked for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). All courses taken at Wiregrass Georgia Tech will be considered in the GPA and/or percentage of classes completed in computing your eligibility for continuing on financial aid. If your SAP status results in financial aid suspension you will have to pay out of pocket until you have met the required standards. You have the right to appeal your financial aid suspension. Only extraordinary or extenuating circumstances that can be properly documented will be accepted. Failure to "show-up" for classes will not be accepted as extraordinary or extenuating circumstances.

Will financial aid pay for audit or exempt classes?


How do I repay my Federal Direct Student Loan?

It’s simple to pay toward your student loan—at any time. Get started by working with your federal loan servicer. Your federal student loan servicer handles all billing regarding your student loan. Your servicer can work with you if you need help to make a payment.

When you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment status, you have an amount of time called a “grace period” before your first student loan payment is due. Now is the time to make sure you are aware of all of your loan types and when the first payments are due.

For more information, email