Competitive Admissions Process
Have questions? Contact the ARC.
Competitive admissions for allied health programs requiring separate applications are listed below. The online competitive admissions application, official transcripts, HESI A2 scores (if applicable), and any other required information must be on file with the College by the deadline listed on the program application. The grades students want to use for competitive admissions must show in the students’ Degree Audit. The students should meet with an ARC advisor prior to submitting the competitive application. The following programs require a separate competitive admission application:
- Practical Nursing
- Radiologic Technology
- Registered Nursing
- Surgical Technology (for Spring 2019)
- Dental Hygiene (after acceptance by VSU)
Enrollment in each program is limited and competitive, and meeting all admissions requirements does not guarantee admissions into a competitive program. Applicants must also be accepted to Wiregrass and graduate from the required TCC to be accepted into a competitive program. Additionally,
- Applicants must be in "good academic standing" with Wiregrass. Applicants on academic warning, probation or suspension cannot be accepted into the program.
- Applications can be submitted prior to completion of the required TCC; however priority selection will be given to applicants who are TCC graduates by the application deadline.
- The required TCC must be successfully completed prior to program entry.
- The HESI A2 exam must be taken at Wiregrass. Scores from other institutions will not be accepted. Both the cumulative and critical thinking portion of the exam must be completed. HESI scores are valid for 2 years and must be valid at the application deadline date. Applicants have 3 attempts per 2 years to complete the HESI A2 exam.
- Applicants must review and complete the student acknowledgement.
Priority application deadlines for acceptance are as follows:
- December 1, 2018 for Summer 2019 Semester entry
- May 1, 2019 for Fall 2019 Semester entry
- May 15, 2019 for Fall 2019 Dental Hygiene entry
- August 1, 2019 for Spring 2020 Semester entry
Specific Program Requirements
TCC GPA Requirement
HESI Score Requirement
Ben Hill-Irwin Campus – accepts up to 30 for each Fall
Coffee Campus – accepts up to 30 for each Spring
Valdosta Campus – will accept up to 30 for Summer 2019, Fall 2019, Fall 2020, Spring 2021, and then up to 30 each Fall and Spring thereafter.
|Advanced Patient Care Assistant||2.0 minimum||60.0 minimum||
Advanced Patient Care Assistant TCC GPA (30%) + HESI Critical Thinking Conversion Score (20%) + HESI Cumulative Score (50%)
|See ARC Advisor||
Spring 2020 Coffee Campus application deadline is August 1, 2019.
Fall 2020 Valdosta Campus & Ben Hill-Irwin Campus – application deadline is May 1, 2020
Accepts up to 22 for each Fall
|Radiologic Technician Assistant||2.75 minimum||
Beginning Fall 2020 Entry: No minimum HESI score required
Radiologic Technician Assistant TCC GPA (40%) + HESI Critical Thinking Conversion Score (20%) + HESI Cumulative Score (40%)
|Advisement Sheet||Apply NOW for Fall 2019!||
Fall 2019 application deadline extended to July 18, 2019
Fall 2020 application deadline is May 1, 2020.
Accepts up to 40 for each Spring
|Nursing Technician||2.75 minimum||75.0 minimum||
Nursing Technician TCC GPA (40%) + HESI Critical Thinking Conversion Score (20%) + HESI Cumulative Score (40%)
|See ARC Advisor||Apply Now!||
Spring 2020 application deadline is August 1, 2019.
*Applicants will be considered TCC complete if they will graduate from the required TCC during the semester in which the deadline is located. For example, applicants who will graduate from a required TCC after completion of the Fall 2019 semester will be considered TCC complete for the December 1, 2019 deadline.
The Dental Hygiene program is taught in cooperation with Valdosta State University.
- Students must apply to Valdosta State University for acceptance into the Dental Hygiene Program and declare dental hygiene as their major. Each student will be assigned a dental hygiene advisor at VSU. Transfer students are accepted to the university, but are required to complete a minimum of 21 credit hours at VSU to satisfy the residency requirement.
- Students must apply to Wiregrass Georgia Technical College for admission to the clinical portion of the program when core courses are complete. The application deadline for application into the competitive portion of the program is May 15 of each year. The students selected at the end of spring semester will begin the program fall semester. The dental hygiene clinical program is 5 semesters in length.
- Application is closed. The Fall 2020 application deadline is May 15, 2020.
Applications submitted on or prior to the deadline will be evaluated for program acceptance. Students wishing to enter these programs must complete and graduate from the appropriate technical certificate of credit by the beginning of the program; however, applicants that have completed and graduate from the TCC by the application deadline will have priority. All students will be ranked based on TCC GPA, HESI Exam scores, and any other ranking criteria set at time of application. See individual program advising sheets for specific information.
If class capacity remains unfilled for a program, the deadlines and/or other requirements for that program can be extended/modified with the Dean of Allied Health’s approval.
All of the competitive admissions criteria are current as we know them. They may be modified with curriculum revisions. Please see the Advisement and Retention Center for the most current criteria.
HESI Admission Assessment Exam
Completion of the HESI Admission Assessment Exam (HESI A2), an assessment tool used to evaluate prospective students and their potential for successful program completion, is required for consideration of acceptance into most of the allied health programs (Registered Nursing, Practical Nursing, and Radiologic Technology).
All applicants must complete these designated sections: Math, Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary and General Knowledge and Grammar, Anatomy & Physiology, Learning Profile & Personality Style, and Critical Thinking. Applicants are encouraged to complete an Anatomy and Physiology (or equivalent) course prior to taking the examination. Also, a study guide is available through Elsevier.
Each program utilizes the results of the HESI A2 exam in a way which best meets the needs of the specific program. Please consult with your Academic Advisor, Program Faculty, or the Allied Health Advising Packet for program specific information.
HESI exam scores must meet the following guidelines by application deadline. Applicants have three (3) attempts to complete the HESI A2 Exam within a 2 year (24-month) time frame, with the highest score used for program selection. The scores are valid for two (2) years post examination date. Scores must be valid at the application deadline.
The HESI A2 Exam must be completed at Wiregrass and prior to the application deadline as stated above.
Steps to acceptance into the competitive entry programs
- Be advised EACH semester
- Plan and follow curriculum sequence to correlate with program entry semesters and application deadlines. The TCC must be completed in order to begin the competitive admission program.
- Schedule and take HESI A2 exam at Wiregrass prior to the set deadlines – pay test fee in the Bookstore, schedule test through the Wiregrass Georgia Technical College Testing Center, prepare for the exam, and bring a picture ID on the day of the exam. Some programs require a minimum HESI score for program acceptance.
- Meet with an ARC advisor to review competitive application and process.
- Submit Online Competitive Admission application to the ARC after scheduling the HESI A2 exam and prior to set deadlines.
Background Check / Drug Screen / Vaccination / CPR Information
A criminal background check and drug screen will be required if accepted into a competitive admissions program and prior to the clinical experience. Previous arrests and convictions, as well as a positive drug screen, may prohibit a student from completing the clinical portion of the program. An immunization record will also be required to be submitted. Certain vaccinations and immunizations may be required. It is encouraged to begin all vaccines prior to entering the program. These requirements are also required for completion of certain classes within the Advanced Patient Care Assistant, Nursing Technician, and Radiologic Technician Assistant TCCs: NAST 1100 and IMSA 1100. Also, students accepted into formal programs must provide proof of American Heart Basic Life Support (BLS) for health care providers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Competitive admissions criteria have recently changed. The Competitive Admissions Trend Report is not available for all programs at this time. The trend data presented represents the original selection of applicants and does not factor in wait list students who were accepted when spots became available.
GPA: 3.32 average
HESI Cumulative: 76.81 average
HESI Critical Thinking: 86.2 average
Points: 80.59 average
A total of 30 students were selected. There were 20 students TCC complete by the application deadline and were selected for priority acceptance. The remaining spots were filled by the top 10 of 24 students who were TCC complete after spring semester. There were a grand total of 49 applicants, with 44 eligible for consideration.Valdosta Campus - Fall Entry
GPA: 3.34 average (low – 2.50)
HESI Cumulative: 75.97 average (low – 66.40)
HESI Critical Thinking: 85.63 average (low – 74.00)
Points: 80.15 average (low – 74.35)
A total of 30 students were selected. There were 38 students TCC complete by the application deadline and the top 30 were selected for priority acceptance. There was a grand total of 59 applicants, with 53 eligible for consideration.
Ben Hill-Irwin Campus - Fall Entry
GPA: 3.15 average (low – 2.34)
HESI Cumulative: 73.16 average (low – 60.40)
HESI Critical Thinking: 86.47 average (low – 74.00)
Points: 77.51 average (low – 64.15)
A total of 30 students were selected. There were 30 students TCC complete by the application deadline and were selected for priority acceptance. There was a grand total of 41 applicants, with 38 eligible for consideration.
Coffee Campus - Spring Entry
GPA: 2.99 average (low – 2.46)
HESI Cumulative: 72.5 average (low – 60.00)
HESI Critical Thinking: 85.25 average (low – 71.00)
Points: 75.27 average (low – 65.05)
There were 20 students TCC complete by the application deadline and were selected for priority acceptance. An additional 6 students were tentatively accepted pending successful completion of the TCC. There was a grand total of 34 applicants.
GPA: 3.40 average (low – 3.04)>
HESI Cumulative: 83.10 average (low – 76.8)
HESI Critical Thinking: 85.24 average (low – 75)
Points: 84.26 average (low – 75.84)
A total of 17 students were selected. There were 15 students TCC complete by the application deadline and were selected for priority acceptance. An additional 2 students were tentatively accepted pending successful completion of the TCC. There was a grand total of 22 applicants, with 17 eligible for consideration.
GPA: 3.80 average (low – 3.31)
HESI Cumulative: 87.94 average (low – 78)
HESI Critical Thinking: 87.04 average (low – 80)
Points: 90.61 average (low – 87.42)
A total of 40 students were selected, with an additional 11 on the waitlist. There were 100 students TCC complete by the application deadline who were ranked for priority acceptance. There was a grand total of 128 applicants.