Frequently Asked Questions about Admissions

What do I need to do to apply?

  1. Submit an Application for Admission/Readmission.
  2. Pay a one-time $25 application fee.
  3. Fully and accurately answer all the residency questions on the application and provide a copy of Georgia driver's license (or other information) to prove lawful presence in the US if seeking in-state tuition.
  4. Submit official, sealed high school/GED transcripts. Opened transcripts are not official and therefore invalid.
  5. Submit official, sealed transcript from all previously attended colleges. Opened transcripts are not official and therefore, invalid.
  6. Take the ACCUPLACER placement test or submit valid Compass, ACT or SAT scores (applicants must have a valid picture ID to test). Transfer students with appropriate English and math courses may not be required to test.
  7. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is the application for both the Federal Pell Grant AND the HOPE Scholarship/Grant. The application is available online at Visit our website at for additional information. THE SCHOOL CODE FOR WIREGRASS GEORGIA TECH IS 005256.

Do I have to request my transcripts be sent to your school, or will you do that for me?

You are responsible for making the transcript request to your former school. We do have transcript request forms available in the Admissions Office that you can use to send to prior schools if you would like to use them.

Can you tell me before I take the time to apply and request transcripts if my courses from my former college will transfer to your school?

Typically, core courses taken at previous colleges that are accredited by an agency that TCSG will allow us to accept will transfer as long as the student made a C or better. Occupational courses taken within the last 60 months will also more than likely transfer as long as a student made a C or better. (We cannot give definite answers about transfer of credit without actually seeing the official transcript.)

Do I have to get my high school transcript since I went to another college?

Yes. Students must provide official high school transcripts unless they have successfully completed (with a C or better) more than 30 semester hours at the degree level or 45 quarter hours at the degree level (diploma or certificate level hours will not count in high school transcript exemption).

Do I have to get a transcript from my other college when I know nothing from there will transfer to my program at Wiregrass?

Yes. Wiregrass requires an official, sealed transcript from all previously attended colleges for admission to our college.

Can I start taking classes while I work on earning my GED?

No. Student enrolling into any program at WGTC must have already earned a valid GED diploma (or high school diploma).

Do I have to pay for an official GED transcript from Atlanta even though I earned my GED at your school?

Yes. You must request that an official GED transcript be sent to our school. We can allow you to start classes with us without your official GED transcript as long as we can verify that you passed the GED exam. You will be asked to sign a GED Waiver if you choose to do this, understanding that if we do not receive your official GED transcript by a certain date, we will place a hold on your records.

I attended an online high school (or college). Will you take my diploma or

It depends. WGTC is allowed to accept high school diplomas and GED's awarded through schools who are accredited by one of the following agencies:

  • Regional accrediting agencies which include:
    • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
    • New England Association of Schools and Colleges
    • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools/Council on Accreditation and School Improvement
    • Northwest Accreditation Commission
    • Western Association of Schools and Colleges
    • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools/Council on Accreditation and School Improvement
  • Georgia Accrediting Commission
  • Georgia Association of Christian Schools
  • Association of Christian Schools International
  • Georgia Private School Accreditation Council
  • Accrediting Commission for Independent Study (note: ACIS merged with the Georgia Accrediting Commission in 2005)
  • Southern Association of Independent Schools
  • Florida Council of Independent Schools
  • South Carolina Independent School Association
  • Texas Private School Accreditation Commission
  • Distance Education Training Council
  • Florida Association of Christian Colleges and Schools
  • Florida Council of Private Schools
  • Alabama Independent School Association
  • National Council for Private School Accreditation
  • North American Christian School Accrediting Agency
  • Tennessee Association of Christian Schools
  • TCSG will accept a high school diploma from a public school that is not accredited by one of the above agencies but is regulated by a school system and state department of education.

**The name of the accrediting agency must match exactly one of the agencies above. Many accrediting agencies have similar names, but we are only allowed to accept the ones listed above.

What happens if I don’t pass the ACCUPLACER exam? Does that mean I can’t come to school next semester?

ACCUPLACER is a placement exam and is used to determine your strengths in the areas of Reading Comprehension, Sentence Skills (English), Arithmetic (Math), and Elementary Algebra. If you do not make the required ACCUPLACER scores to enter your program, you may be required to perform Short Term Remediation, take a Learning Support class, or do some refresher work in our Adult Education Department. Rarely does the ACCUPLACER exam completely exclude a student from enrolling in classes at WGTC. We encourage every student to review sample questions prior to taking the ACCUPLACER exam and/or download the free ACCUPLACER Study App. You can access the site from your computer, tablet, or Smart phone and familiarize yourself with the basic content areas of ACCUPLACER tests.

Someone told me that I’m coded “out of state,” but I’ve lived here my whole life. What can I do to be coded “instate?”

In order to be coded in-state, you must have lived in the state of Georgia for the past 12 months and accurately answer the residency questions on your admissions application. Additionally, because of a new law that was passed in January 2012, all students applying for in-state tuition must provide validation of lawful presence in the United States. One of the following must be provided in order to be coded in-state:

  • A current Driver's License issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008
  • A current ID issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008
  • A current Driver’s License or ID issued by a state that verifies immigration status and only issues to persons lawfully present in the United States; See list of compliant states
  • A certified U.S. Birth Certificate showing the student was born in the U.S. or a U.S. territory; A photocopy is not acceptable
  • An approved completed FAFSA for the current financial aid year
  • A current, valid Permanent Resident Card (USCIS form 1-151 or 1-551)
  • A U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (DS-1350) or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)
  • A current U.S. Passport
  • A U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561)
  • A U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570)

I was a student at WGTC before, so do I still have to prove my lawful presence in the US? I mean doesn’t my enrollment before prove that I was a resident back then?

Unfortunately, no. Students who have had a break of enrollment since January 2012 must come in under the new law, and therefore must prove residency using one of the items listed above.

How much does it cost to attend WGTC?

Instate students are charged tuition at $85 per credit hour. Fees for most students are $201 a semester. Out of state students pay double tuition, and international students pay four times tuition.

Students enrolled in the Commercial Truck Driving program follow a different tuition and fee schedule. Information about the cost of that program can be obtained through the Admissions Office.

What kind of Financial Aid programs are offered at your college?

WGTC offers the HOPE Grant, the HOPE Scholarship, the PELL Grant, the Nelnet Payment Plan, Private Student Loans, and WIOA. To find out more information about these programs, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 229-333-2107, or log on to our website at

How much financial aid will I get?  How soon after I start do I get a check?

These questions will need to be addressed to the Financial Aid Office since this differs for every student.

I have heard books are really expensive. How much will they cost, and do I have to pay for them?

The campus bookstore can give you information on the cost of the textbooks needed for your classes. We encourage you to research and find the best price on the books that you need. If you purchase your textbooks from sources other than the college bookstore, please make certain that you get the book with the correct ISBN number as textbook editions are typically very different.

Students who receive financial aid usually use a part of their award to pay for their textbooks. There are cases, however, where students have to pay out-of-pocket for necessary books and supplies.

Do I have to have a computer to do my school work?

Having access to a computer is required in most programs. Each WGTC campus has computer labs and libraries with computers that students can use to complete their course assignments if they don’t have their own computers.


Click to submit a request for information to be mailed or emailed.

Valdosta Campus
(229) 333-2105

Ben Hill-Irwin Campus
(229) 468-2253

Coffee County Campus
(229) 468-2220

Cook County Workforce Development Center
(229) 549-7368